Monday

Allyson Mitchell's Hungry Purse



My lovely friend, Marne Lucas asked me to collaborate with her again. She met Canadian installation artist extraordinaire Allyson Mitchell at the opening of "Visible Vagina" at the David Nolan Gallery. They hit it off and planned to do an artist portrait session inside Allyson's installation, "Hungry Purse: The Vagina Dentata in Late Capitalism". Marne called me up to contribute a little style, make up, hair wrangling action. (uh, yeah, mention 'vagina and 'capitalism' in the same sentence you best believe I'm in).

Turns out Marne, Allyson and I are all kindred feminist artist ladies with a whole lot of silly mixed up in there. Allyson reconfirmed my love for Canada and their support of artists. She was just about to depart back from a 6 month residency. So glad I got a chance to meet her. (slick pics to come...here's some teaser shots)

I got my first chance to work with a faux mustache. Here's Allyson looking mega hot in a black poly zip up pantsuit. I think channeling a little Burt Reynolds meets Deep Lez. I MUST get a poly pantsuit. 1st functional, then flattering and so easy! With the zip down front, to boob...or not to boob. hot.

Here's a detail of the throne and stuffed pink antelope (?) heads. When asked by a gallery-goer, "What are those?" Allyson replied, "Some weird fallopian tube head things." Ahh...yes. Perfect.



I'm in love with her pink animal creations...cute little nippled minxes. Neon creatures in the woods. Here's some more from her catalog of Ladies Sasquatch.

Detail of ceiling, collected doilies, afghans knitted into one massive construction.

Marne hard at work, and her special skill--balancing atop crookedy ladders while capturing beautiful images. Notice entrance and urethra afghan. (never thought I'd write those two words together)


If you're in NY the Visible Vagina exhibition runs through March 20th. Go see it, you won't regret it!

No comments: